Sunday, October 20, 2013

The vacuum monster attacks Finn's mommy

Finn is terrified of the vacuum. That's my excuse for having such dirty floors. But the other day I thought we had made an amazing breakthrough. Ben was vacuuming (this isn't even the amazing part) and instead of screaming and crying, Finn was following him around, watching curiously. When Ben was all done, he left the vacuum out and Finn circled it about a dozen times, squatted down to view it from different angles and even went so far as to touch it a couple times!

So a couple days later I thought I would give it a try. All I wanted to do was evacuate the air from some vacuum-seal storage bags. So I sat on the floor and told Finn that I was going to turn the vacuum on now and it was going to be loud. Because I was sitting on the floor, the vacuum promptly fell over on me. Finn screamed bloody-murder, turned and tried to run away, but turned the wrong direction and ran into the side of his crib which knocked him over. I was just shaking with laughter; poor Finn was shaking with fear. I think its safe to say that my floors will remain dirty for a while longer.

I am probably a terrible mother for finding it so funny, but Finn gave me the opportunity to redeem myself. I had to nurse and rock him for 30 minutes before he would calm down, even then he clung to me for another 15-20 minutes. Later we went back in the room to look at the vacuum. Finn circled it a few times, squatted down to look at it, but could not be convinced that it was safe to touch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment