Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Football in the face

In our attempt to get out of the house and do something fun on Sundays (as opposed to just doing chores), we took a picnic to Coronado to listen to the live big band music that they offer at the ferry landing on Sunday afternoons. We picked out a quiet spot on the grass between two groups of older people and settled down. Finn was too cute as he ate his sandwich and then he just played by himself while Ben and I enjoyed the music (which was not a big band, but rather a jazz trio). Then a large group of people came and sat near us. They had a bunch of kids and balls galore. Right away I felt that this was too crowded a place to let kids throw balls around. But unfortunately, none of the adults with this group seemed to think so. One of the dads and his kid started throwing a football back and forth right behind us. I turned to Ben and said "If they aren't careful they're going to hit Finn right in the face!" The words were no sooner out of my mouth, than the dad missed catching the football and it came bouncing toward us and hit Finn square in the face. Finn didn't cry at all, so I can only assume that he wasn't hurt. I think he would have cried even if he had been overly startled, so I really think there was no damage done. The adult came over and apologized repeatedly (almost too much) and asked if Finn was OK. They stopped playing catch, but soon several more of the children in their party started throwing more balls and frisbees around so that Ben and I decided we had to get up and leave or risk Finn being injured by a stray ball. It really is a shame because all three of us were really enjoying the lovely day and music. Those people should have been very embarrassed, but sadly I don't think they cared. Hopefully, when Finn is older and wants to throw a ball around in a crowded area, I remember this story and tell him "no".

No comments:

Post a Comment