Friday, February 7, 2014

First haircut


We gave Finn his first haircut today. It was starting to hang into his eyes and was falling straight over his ears. The only curls were in the back, and they kept getting dreadlock-like snarls in them. So we decided it was time. Finn was really good. He didn't cry at all. He did fuss and wiggle a little but that is to be expected from an 18 month old! All in all I think I did pretty well for my first time cutting hair in general, much less cutting a boys haircut. It's not perfect, but then I didn't expect it would be. It pained me to cut off the curls in the back though. I had thought maybe once I cleaned up the front and sides of his hair, I might be able to leave the curls long for a while, but no, once the front and sides were short, the curls in the back had to go too. He looks way too grown up now. It's really starting to hit me how quickly he is leaving his baby days behind him.

To that end, he is continuing with new words. He is getting pretty good at repeating words we say. He has recently started saying "uh-oh" and "ow" and using them in the appropriate context. "Yuck" and "yummy" he has starting using during mealtimes but they both seem to mean "I don't like this!" We're trying to get him to say his name but so far he just smiles at us. Once it sounded like he said "Leif" but it hasn't happened since.

There was one funny story that came about this week. I was cleaning in the kitchen when Finn crawled up onto the couch and started to reach for the lamp. I came over and reminded him that he is not to touch the lamp and he quickly whirled around, said "Shit!" in his high baby voice and wiggled off the couch. Now, since I'm pretty sure I haven't said "shit" since before Finn was born and I know Ben has probably never said it, I can only assume he was just making a noise. Or maybe his grandpa's let a few questionable words slip over Christmas and he remembered....

No comments:

Post a Comment